Scotts Valley Timeline


May 1880The last Alviso to Santa Cruz stage coach run was made.Since 1858, the coaches had changed horses in Scotts Valley. The trip took six hours.
August 1918The first Santa Cruz County Fair was held in Scotts Valley.
1920-30sSeventy-five silent movies and 25 talkies were filmed in Scotts Valley, many at the Nathaniel Hicks Ranch at Carbonera Creek RV Park and at the Hunsacker Ranch on Glen Canyon Road. Bette Davis, Ralph Bellamy, Mickey Rooney, Maureen O'Sullivan and Robert Montgomery were stars in these movies. Mary Pickford starred in a movie in Ben Lomond in 1917.
August 1926The Mission Springs Conference Ground opened.
July 1929A fire swept through Zayaynte and Olympia, past Mission Springs, and all the way to Camp Evers and Bean Creek Road. It destroyed the Victorian David Locke mansion, which stood near present K-mart.
February 1949Jack Wilson and Wayne Voights were managers of Skypark Airport.
Feburary 1953Mrs. Dorothy Howard, Mrs. Lota Gold, Mrs. Margaret Green, Mrs. Margaret Wiens and Mrs. Sue Edland founded the Scotts Valley Library. It was at 7 Camp Evers Lane.
April 1965Paul Benjamin and Flora Carr were editors and publishers of The Scotts Valley News on Scotts Valley Drive. Many of these items are from that paper.
September 1965An adult mobile-home park was under construction at Camp Evers (Forest Hills).

Plans were shown for four lanes on Mount Hermon Road.

Ted Lind, owner of the popular Danish Inn (on the site of Hacienda Shell) was killed in a fall at the inn.

October 1965Two new dinosaurs were added to Lost World on Scotts Valley Drive.

David Bergman, 4, found a monarch butterly with a Toronto, Canada, tag.

January 1966Spring Lakes. Jack and Polly Pollock donated a pair of swans, rare Mandarin birds, and miniature mallards.

The first 24-foot double-wide mobile home in Santa Cruz County
was installed by Ernest and Barbara Hails.

Carl Dettling sold his 34-acre dairy farm to George Ow for the King's Village Shopping Center. His cattle were prize Holsteins.

Dr. Cordas C. Burnett announced accreditation of Bethany Bible College. Rev. A.J. Morrison played a locally-made violin at the Scotts Valley Assembly of God Church.

February 1966Incorporation of Scotts Valley as a city was approved. A cemetery site for the City of Santa Cruz between S. Navarra Drive and Green Hills Road had just been successfully opposed, thus contributing to Scotts Valley residents' wish to form a city.

George Butterfield, of Butterfield Cabinet Shop, announced the Scotts Valley Water Board would hold a ceremony for the opening of the new water plant.

Bob James was owner of the Sno-White Drive-In at Santa's Village.

Clarence King, Green Valley Road, offered to rent his Olympic-sized pool for a recreation program. Thomas Church, landscape designer at Pasatiempo, and a resident of Glenwood, announced his support of an archery range for the city.

April 1966The Hacienda Shell station was opened by dealer J.C. Miller.

Robert McGowan of Ben Lomond succeeded Dr. Kenneth Larson as principal of Scotts Valley School. The next year, McGowan became principal at Brook Knoll School.

May 1966The local California Pony Racing Association group leased 13 acres between Lost World Park on Scotts Valley Drive and Highway 17 for a race track.

The Bean Creek Road subdivision, Channel Oaks, began construction.

June 1966Lost World Dinosaur Park on Scotts Valley Drive was sold by Margaret M. Thompson to Arthur and Nettie Sprague and Mr. and Mrs. E.B. Harper of Los Gatos.
July 1966The last commercial blueberry crop was harvested at the site of Spring Lakes Mobile Home Park. Blueberry growing had been pioneered
by August Eberhardt.

Roberson's team, the Yankees, won the SV Little League championship.

July 4th was celebrated by a county-wide bell-ringing. Mrs. Mary Campion was in charge of Scotts Valley bells. Many old ones were from private collections. Virgil Elder of S. Navarra range a 100-year-oldbell from Indiana.

August 1966Twelve designs, which had been submitted for a Scotts Valleycity seal, were judged. The winner was Wendell Simmons, a librarian at UCSC. Second was N. Edwin Johnson of Navarra Drive. Third was R. Turcottle of Hacienda Drive.

A resolution to order incorporation of Scotts Valley was signed August
3. Bill Graham was the first mayor. The first Scotts Valley Days took place. Linda Scarborough was Miss Scotts Valey. The event -- including a parade, an art show, barbecues, etc. -- was attended by 9,000 people.

September 1966Noorudin Billawala purchased the 140-acre Santa's Village. In 1965, there were discussions of returning the zoo to Peter Batten, Kelly Park, San Jose.
October 1966Friend Stone resigned as general manager of the Water District to become the city's first City Clerk.

Girl Scout Troop 1071 was initiated by the Mountain Charley chapter.

A Caterpillar owned by Santa Clara Sand and Gravel was buried in the sand at an operation on Scotts Valley Drive. A geologist told of many fossils found there and gave geological reasons for a strong smell of gas.

March 1967The George Edwin Scott house at 601 Glenwood Drive, owned and rented by George Santos, was destroyed by fire.

The eight-acre Nystrom property on Bean Creek Road near the new Cristel Oaks was purchased for construction of a convalescent hospital.

Buck Keene was ride manager at Santa's Village.

The Scotts Valley Drug Store at Camp Evers was old by Robert Daugherty to Vincent Madruga.

April 1967Joe Smith's Blaze Fireplaces store opened.
May 1967Scotts Valley exhibited a relief map of the town at the Santa Cruz County Fair. Carbonera Creek had actual water running through it. (Note: This map is on display at the Scott House.)
June 1967Frank Massamori, Boy Scout leader, was installed as president of Mountain Charlie Optimist Club, a group which was very active in local matters.

The city approved plans for a mobile-home park on Whispering Pines, later to be named Vista del Lago.

July 1967Santa's Village animal trainer Richard F. Beck recaptureda pet lioness loose in Ben Lomond.